swang's photos More of swang's photos

www.flickr.com

Friday, June 17, 2011

iPads in Emergency Health...

So it's been an exciting (read: stressful and emotional roller coaster ride) morning, with me taking my first ride in the back of an ambulance with Ms 1 (no details, except all is well now and thanks for all who were concerned).

After confirming all was well and took some time to settle myself... I had a chat to the ambulance officer riding up back with me who was madly scribbling notes on a clipboard about their processes to put that info into some system... Do you have to double entry into your system, how much time does it take etc? (Background: I was involved on a project with the emergency response for the local state police department years ago, hence I was interested in the perspective in a similar but equally distinct industry).

To my interest he mentioned that they scanned in the sheets to archive in their system *AND* re-key into their database system the details from the sheets filled out. Also more to my interest, he mentioned that they (Ambulance) are in the process of developing a system involving iPads which will be trialed towards the end of this year...

Was interested in seeing what the user (Ambulance Officer) response to the project was, he mentioned that it was positive for most people as it will cut down the re-entry of the data into their database system, and will cut down on transcribing errors (hard to read handwriting etc.), but then there were also concerns about reliability of data entry especially in the time-critical work of ambulance officers (nothing beats the reliability of a pen and pad, or more so a bunch of pens for redundancy :P) . I also joked about the ruggedising of the iPads, and also exposure to bodily fluids which might be an occupational hazard of being lugged around in the back of the Ambulance.

Interestingly, it will be integrated into their existing dispatch system, so that it will be all tied into their systems, which might sound a bit ambitious, but they have lots of gain from this...

Anyways, I thought cool, they will save some time with double entry etc. so good luck to them, but the penny only dropped after spending some time in the Emergency Department of a children's hospital...

I swear I was going to thump the 3rd Emergency Department nurse who asked me for the history of the past 2 days and also what happened this morning, to which I told the Ambulance Officer, the first Triage nurse, the 2nd Triage Nurse, the paediatrician who attended, and this last nurse (who seemed a bit grumpy in response to my frustration of re-telling the events)...

So I hope the trial of this project by the Ambulance Department is successful, and more importantly I hope that they allow the information to be shared transparently with the hospitals, so that there is no need to re-tell the important information multiple times, (and in turn increase the chances of missing some information), and let the health professionals get on with their important jobs, rather than struggle with the process and hopefully the new technology/systems in place will be a help rather than a hinderance...

Sure this is intended more as a distraction post for me (it's been a really stressful day for me as a dad to say the least), and any useful information/opinions or statements presented is purely accidental (and I apologise in advance... :P), but this kinda stuff really excites me about the use of technology/systems more than just playing with the newfangled devices we now have access to.

I'm all for awesome games like Angry Birds and the like (timesinks), and business productivity apps which save you time and make you more money, but think there is something about using all this technology in something as worthwhile as actually saving lives, or making the quality of life of people much better gets me all excited... :D

We have come so far, just hope we carry on pushing the limits of technology to worthwhile causes...

Where's my personal jetpack? :) (Which incidentally is over-rated... cos I don't have one yet...)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home